Every time I see Jeremiah Owyang’s list of corporate social media strategists and community managers I wonder when he’ll do a similar list for companies with fewer than 1,000 employees–or nonprofits, for that matter. I’m realizing he has his hands full trying to keep up with the list of enterprise social media types since the market for these jobs seems to be exploding, so I may as well just start my own list for nonprofits. I wasn’t sure whether to call it Association or Nonprofit, so I’m going with nonprofit for now.
I think his idea of linking to a Linkedin profile is a good one, so if you’d like to be included on this list please leave a comment with your name, linkedin profile url, a brief description of your job duties that relate to social media and your title. I think title is less important than job description in the nonprofit space since I’m sure there are many people out there doing the work of social media manager but called something else because most nonprofits probably have not yet allocated staff for this position.
My hope is that this list can serve as an incentive for nonprofits to standardize both a social media/community manager job description and benchmark it appropriately salary-wise. I can only speak for myself and a few other social media managers in the association space, but it seems to me the salaries for nonprofit social media positions are well below the average reported in Forum One’s Online Community & Social Media Compensation survey ($69,000 was the reported average salary for nonprofits).
I don’t want to just randomly put people on this list unless they ask to be included so I apologize ahead of time if you’re one of my association buds and you’re not on here–just ask and I’ll be sure to add you. You can also add yourself to Beth Kanter’s list of nonprofit social media strategists on the WeAreMedia Wiki.
Social Media/Community Managers at Nonprofits
- Maggie McGary, Online Community & Social Media Manager, American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (that’s me, in case you don’t already know that)
- Shana Rieger, Social Media Program Manager, InfoComm International
- Linda Chreno, Director of Marketing and Communications, American College of Phlebology
- Jessica Milcetich, Social Media Outreach, Federal Citizen Information Center in the General Services Administration.
- Ashley Messick, Social Media Specialist, Blood Centers of the Pacific.
- Alison McQuade, Online Marketing Manager, GlobalGiving
- Bill Sheridan, electronic communications manager/editor, Maryland Association of CPAs
- Sue Anne Reed, Communications Manager, EMQ FamiliesFirst
- Greg Allbright, CEO/Founder, Change for a Dollar
- Laura Norvig, Technical Services Librarian, ETR Associates/The Resource Center, funded by the Corporation for National and Community Service
- Richard Millington, Social Media & Online Community Manager, United Nations Refugee Agency
- Colleen McMahon, Director of Member Services, Council of Residential Specialists (an affiliate of the National Association of REALTORS)
- Lindsay Reene, E-Philanthropy Coordinator, Alzheimer’s Association, Georgia Chapter
- Archana Verma, Director of Marketing and Communication, International Association of Business Communicators (IABC)
- Beth Clark, Online Marketing Manager, National Multiple Sclerosis Society
- Janie Graziani, Manager, Social Media, AAA